Monday, August 7, 2006

God's Path Before Me

During our weekend shopping/baseball game expedition, we came across this dancing fountain. It was in a beautiful little park at the shopping center and at 10 o'clock in the morning, we had it all to ourselves. My son does not like to get his face wet so he cautiously approached the fountain and laughed while he watched the water shoot up from the ground. I stood there with him and began memorizing the pattern of water blasts. After I was sure that I had it down, I told Will, "Hey, let's run through it." He replied, "Ok, but what if we get wet?" I responded with, "Don't worry about it, just run between the water drops." He nodded and took me at my words, such innocence..... I went first and ran down the center aisle of the fountain and although there was water shooting up around me, I reached the other side high and dry. I told Will to run down the same path I had followed that I knew would be safe, he did, and also arrived dry. We repeated this a couple of times and were still dry, both from the knowledge of where the water would appear and by knowing that very little water seemed to land on the center aisle.

Now, it was Will's turn to "Go it alone." I told him to run down the center aisle but all to no avail. He took off through the middle of the fountain just as the water kicked on drenching him. At one point he looked as though he was being attacked by millions of little Water Bees by the way he swatted at the water drops. By the time he made it to me, he was drenched and none too happy. His disgust lasted for a short time because he soon laughed at the water dripping from his nose. And, he and I weren't the only ones laughing. I hadn't noticed but there was a family of three on a nearby parkbench and several other spectators that had been watching us that were, by this time, laughing loudly.

So, I'm reminded today of Isaiah 42:16 that says:

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

Just as I advised Will of where to run and when, God does for us. But like larger versions of a three year old kid, we choose to do it on our own and end up all wet. I pray today that I will listen to God and walk in the paths he has laid out before me that are safe and prosperous. So long self......


4 comments:

Hook said...

You nailed the picture of parenting and the essence of discipleship. Thanks for the great story!

Hook said...

You nailed the picture of parenting and the essence of discipleship. Thanks for the great story!

Libby said...

I would like to run throught that fountain! My daughter is 13 now but I can see she will always have the heart of a child (like her mother). We would be running through it together. People mistake being "childlike" for "childish". The former is actually a good thing. It is the latter we should try to avoid.

Andy said...

Excellent. I recall that as a 3 year old I was similar in attitude to Will - hated getting wet.

It is about faith in Him guiding us.