Friday, November 17, 2006

What Breaks Your Heart?

Every Christian has a calling that is given to them by God before He created them in the womb. The sad thing is, most of us cannot put a finger on what our calling really is. I'm sure you've heard of people being "Called to Preach", or "Called into the mission field." Many times that is the only time we hear of a person being given a calling. I remember while growing up in the Church, I thought those were the only callings that God gave out. And to be honest with you, I didn't think it was fair that God would only punch the tickets for a select few people he had set apart from the crowd. It wasn't until I rededicated my life to the Lord as an adult, and took my faith as "My Faith" that I realized God has a calling for every person on earth. The sad thing is, many of us go blindly through life, clueless to that fact.

When God made you, He had in mind that there was a specific job that no one else could ever do. It may be as simple as witnessing to one person at one precise moment in time. Or, it may be as complex as leading a world-wide ministry. But whatever it is, God gives us the call to do it, and he will equip us to succeed.

I was praying the other day about what God would have me do for him. In my prayer time, I was asking God to explain my calling and He spoke to me. What he said, makes perfect sense when he told me:

"What breaks your heart burdens you, and what burdens you leads you to your calling"

When I heard this, I saw a snapshot of the heart God has for all people. His love is amazing and he calls us to use our hearts to help (love) others in whatever situation they may be in. When we become attached to something that breaks our heart, we take on that burden and through prayer and guidance from the Lord we strive to help remove the burden from ourselves by serving others.

So, what's the big picture of His calling? The big picture of a calling is how you affect those around you with God's love. If your still wondering what your calling is, ask yourself: What breaks your heart today?


3 comments:

Kievas said...

It took me a long while to figure this out. So many of us see "being called" to mean only those in church ministry or missions. But God can (and does) call people to be truck drivers, because he has a plan that's far bigger than anything we can come up with.

Donny Prater said...

Kievas- You are so right and i know that many people miss that. I'm glad you see it too.

Trailady said...

I think the big picture for all of us is that we truly learn how to love unselfishly. God IS love and I want to reflect that.