Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Cold Shower for the New Year

I just finished taking a cold shower. I didn't set out to, but I ended up having one. Now before your mind begins to imagine too much, let me explain what I'm talking about.

Here's the deal: My family and I are getting ready to go to my Mother in Law's to spend the evening. We are supposed to be there by 6pm, so as soon as the Bengals game ended I decided to hop in the shower in the guest bathroom. As a reminder, we were in Disney all week and I missed my shower. No matter where you go, there is no shower like your own.

Anyway, I'm in the shower, steam is rising from the hot water, my hair is all soaped up, and that's when it happened: Ice water began pouring through the shower head. I let out a shriek that I am sure was heard in Narnia. In fact, I imagined the waterfall scene from the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as the cold water struck me. I huddled into the corner, shivering, as the soap ran into my eyes and the cold water splashed up from the floor.

Unbeknownst to me, my lovely wife had decided to take a bath at the same time as my shower. Since the master bath is closer to the hot water tank, it takes precedent over our guest bathroom water supply. But to make matters worse, a bathtub takes a long time to fill up, so I had quite a while to stand there in the cold, teeth chattering, and knees knocking. But, that's when God decided to speak to me.

As I wondered when the hot water would come back on so that my suffering could end, I was reminded that it's the same as when we wait for God's blessing on our terms. We've all had something that we've desired, prayed for, and asked God to give to us. The problem is, we want things on our time, which is "Right Now", and God works things out on His time which varies. It varies because He uses all things, actions, events, and places to work together for His will, and that can take some time.

So back to the shower: My suffering finally had an end in site when the water pressure picked up. I could tell that she had turned off her faucet and was ready to receive the warmth I so desired. The only problem was that now, I had cold water coming out so hard that it was pushing cold air may way. In fact, I felt like I was standing in front of a fan blowing cold air on me! This reminded me that most of the times that I have received huge blessings from God, things have gotten worse just before the blessing. This is obviously due to evil forces that war against us and can't stand for a child of the King to receive anything good.

To finish my story on a good note, just a few minutes after the arctic air blast started, the hot water returned and I was quickly refreshed and rinsed.

So today, if you are struggling with waiting for a blessing from God, hang in there. He wants to give you whatever you ask when you ask with a sincere heart. It's just that He has to get everything else in the Universe in line before He can send it your way. But, if you still feel like you can't wait any longer or that you can't go on, take a cold shower.

5 comments:

Kievas said...

That's a great way to hear God's voice in what would normally be seen as adversity or inconvenience. Happy New Year!

Gabrielle Eden said...

You're back. We missed you.

Andy said...

Ha...for a second I thought Will or Marci had snuck in to dump cold water on you.

Good thoughts, bro.

Kev said...

Go Steelers!

Donny Prater said...

Ok Kev... I hear you! Actually, I'm a huge Colts fan!