Monday, April 21, 2008

Losing a Friend...

Early Sunday morning I got a call from a buddy of mine. Sadly, I missed his call because I didn't hear my cellphone ringing. When I saw that a call had come in, I picked up the voicemail and was kind of bewildered as to why he called me so early on a Sunday. But when I heard his voice, I could tell something was up by his tone...

"They found Grant Johnson dead this morning... We don't know what happened to him but he told his wife he felt bad and she went to get him something to drink. When she returned, she found him unresponsive. Call me..."

Within about five seconds, I experienced shock, horror, sadness, sorrow, and about ten different memories of the friend that Grant was to me. When I told Marci, I could see it on her face that she was experiencing the same feelings. All that we could say was simply, "Why?".

I met Grant last Spring when I led the men's group at his Church through a study of my book. We instantly hit it off and became friends. We both had boys that were about the same age and both were interested in soccer. One of the things that I admired to the utmost about him was the fact that he and his wife had adopted their son Carson from Central America, brought him home, and become his mom and dad. I got to coach Carson in soccer and Grant helped me out. He was a great guy...

So today, I'm still asking a plethora of "Whys?". Why did he have to go so soon? Why did he have to leave this wife and little boy? Why him? Why? Why? Why? Sure, I've been through this before, but I still don't have the answer. I don't understand God's ways, but I do know that His are much higher and mysterious than any human's could ever be. It just hurts...

In a couple of days, I'll say my goodbyes to Grant. I know that he wouldn't come back from heaven for anything, even though that is what we want. His memory will live on in his blog though. It's over at GIVE ME BOLDNESS.


3 comments:

Andy said...

Whoa.

My prayers go out to his family and to you, bro.

For whatever reason, God's purpose for him here was done - we won't understand until we're hanging out with Him upstairs.

Just know that Grant has a huge mansion in heaven and is having a ton of fun...while the rest of us battle through this fallen world...

okta said...

Dear Donny

Very sorry for the loss of your beloved Friend.

Grant has finished the race ...
&His Family is secure in God's Hand...

GBU

Tom Cox said...

I am still in shock at the death of my first cousin Grant Johnson. We grew up together as cousins visiting each other at our grand- mother and grand-fathers (Nanny & Papaw) house in Ashland. We have many memories of walking the wall with Papaw (Grandfather). I am very touched by his blog, and moved and inspired by his faith in Christ. Grant and I did not spend much time together in the later part of our lives, however his father, my uncle Robert Johnson always filled us in on the cousins. May God bless Sharla and Carson, and all the lives he touched!
TOM COX
Cousin